Skip to main content

Reporting Options

The following information will provide you with an overview of your reporting options and rights. It may be helpful to speak with a confidential CARE Advocate about these options so that you can discuss any questions or concerns you may have. It is important that you are comfortable with choosing the option that is best for you at this moment.

Your Rights & Working with an Advocate

You are entitled to have the assistance of a certified victim advocate (Penal Code 679.04). The information you choose to share with your CARE Advocate is privileged, protected, and therefore confidential. CARE Advocates do not share identifiable information with campus administrators, law enforcement, or any other entities unless you provide us with expressed written consent (with the clear exception of issues concerning possible child abuse, elder abuse, or threat to self or others).

A CARE Advocate can accompany you throughout any reporting process (should you choose to report). A CARE advocate can be with you during a forensic exam, interviews, phone calls, line-ups, or any other other proceedings that involve criminal or administrative reports. If you find yourself in a situation where you are without your advocate, you have the right to wait until your advocate is present.

Reporting to the Police

Sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking are considered crimes in California. It is a victim’s choice to report a crime. For the quickest response, call 911 to be connected to the nearest police department. Reporting to the police is an option at any time. If a victim chooses not to report the crime immediately, the report can still be made at a later time. Crimes may be reported anonymously and confidentially to the UC San Diego Police at 858-534-HELP (4357). A CARE Advocate can also offer free and confidential assistance with this process. When someone chooses to report their sexual assault, abuse by an intimate partner, or the stalking behaviors they are experiencing, they have certain rights, including the right to have a victim advocate and/or support person of their choosing with them during any investigative interview.

Reporting to the UC San Diego OPHD / Title IX Office

When a member of the UC San Diego community violates any of the Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment policies, the policy violation(s) may be reported to the Office for the Prevention of Harassment & Discrimination (OPHD), which is the Title IX office at UC San Diego. You can make a report even if the harassment or violence occurred off campus. You can choose to report to OPHD, the police, or both. The OPHD office is the office designated to receive reports of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and discrimination. When an administrative complaint is made, the OPHD will respond with various options and measures. For more information about administrative procedures, contact OPHD at (858) 534-8298. An in-person report can be coordinate by a CARE Advocate, or by contacting OPHD directly.

*A victim has a right to have a campus advocate present while making a complaint to campus administration. Contact the CARE Office to speak confidentially and anonymously with a campus advocate who can explain more about your options and rights.

You may feel free to talk to a trusted friend or colleague. Keep in mind that university employees who are not Confidential Resources may be required to report to the Title IX Officer (OPHD). For more information, see Privacy & Confidentiality.

Civil Reporting

You may choose to file a civil suit or a protective/restraining order. You may contact CARE at the Sexual Assault Resource Center for free and confidential support and help with either of these processes.